Retinol, or vitamin A, is considered a natural miracle and it’s one of the most effective substances in the fight against wrinkles and signs of skin ageing. Originally, retinol was used mostly to cure acne, but thanks to its positive and more importantly fast side effects, including the slowing down of skin ageing, it has become a popular ingredient in anti-ageing skin care.
Retinol is a strong antioxidant and helps remove dead skin cells quickly and promote the production of collagen fibres thanks to its ability to exfoliate skin. Retinol can be either of plant or animal origin (fish oil, eggs, meat), but it’s also produced synthetically and widely used in both cosmetic and pharmaceutical industry.
Characteristics of Retinol
Retinol is sometimes called the youth elixir. Its exfoliating effects quickly smoothen skin texture, giving it a youthful, healthy appearance. It’s suitable for all skin types, but its effects are very intense, which is why it’s best to introduce products with retinol into your routine gradually. The results will be visible in no time.
Benefits of Retinol for Skin
- Helps restore a balanced pH of the skin and reduce large pores, thus giving your skin more freshness and glow.
- Promotes skin exfoliation and penetrates deep layers of skin where it stimulates the production of collagen fibres and elastin, thus slowing down signs of skin ageing, smoothing wrinkles, and restoring a more supple, softer texture to the skin.
- Acts as a strong antioxidant and promotes natural regeneration and growth of skin cells, thus helping scars to restore quickly while smoothing and tightening your skin.
- An effective product in the fight against acne, clears clogged pores.
- Reduces the visibility of dark spots, plus it promotes melanin production to prevent them from developing.
Beauty Products with Retinol
Retinol is one of the most popular substances which act against wrinkles and signs of skin ageing. It’s suitable for all skin types and it works very fast. You just have to pay attention to the concentration which ranges between 0.1% (in eye creams with retinol or a retinol cream for large pores to 1% (strong retinol serums for wrinkles, acne, and hyperpigmentation).
If you’re new to products containing retinol, we recommend starting with those that have the lowest concentration of retinol, because it’s common to experience a slight irritation in the beginning of using the ingredient. Start with a cream, and then proceed all the way to the strongest retinol serum. At first, apply the retinol cream every three days, after two weeks increase the frequency to two days, and after a month of use you can start applying it every night. Right around this time you should also be able to see the first noticeable results.
Retinol promotes skin exfoliation, which is why you should only use it before bed and always protect your skin with a high SPF (30-50) during the day to prevent undesired skin damage.
Discover your youth elixir at notino.ie and add a retinol serum, retinol cream, or other anti-ageing retinol products to your routine for mature skin. Discover the beautifying power of retinol for yourself!