Collagen in cosmetics
Collagen is a basic building block of the cell architecture which helps maintain the texture, firmness, and resilience of your skin. It’s a protein that comes from animal sources (such as bones and skin), but it also has a plant-based alternative obtained from a highly nutritious algae called Irish moss. Apart from pig collagen, cosmetic industry and health-care industry also use fish collagen which is absorbed more easily.
Characteristics of Collagen
Collagen has the miraculous ability to quickly reduce skin unevenness and bind large amounts of water, similar to hyaluronic acid. This is why collagen and hyaluronic acid are some of the most popular ingredients in anti-ageing skin care designed to protect the skin from signs of ageing.
Effects of Collagen on Skin
- Acts in the deeper layers of the skin where it stimulates cell renewal and promotes firmness and elasticity.
- Reduces wrinkles and creates a protective film, thus protecting the skin from the effects of external factors.
- Binds large amounts of water to keep your skin hydrated for a long time.
- Brightens up the skin and evens out its tone.
- Works against dark spots.
Effects of Collagen on Hair
- Improves overall hair quality, makes hair smoother from root to tip, and adds shine.
- Takes care of the scalp and keeps it hydrated.
- Gives hair volume.
- Protects hair from breaking and splitting.
- Prevents excessive hair loss.
Cosmetic Products with Collagen
Collagen represents about 1/3 of all proteins in the human body. However, collagen production starts decreasing from 25 years of age, and after the age of 40 we lose approximately 1% of it every year. Unhealthy lifestyle, excessive sunbathing, and genetic predisposition can make this process even faster, which is why we need to replenish the collagen in our body with supplements (pure collagen) or quality skin care and hair care.
Collagen is one of the ingredients in nourishing skin care – collagen creams and serums, intense anti-ageing skin care for mature skin, and even ordinary makeup products. It is suitable for all skin types, especially for dry, dehydrated, and mature skin.
The best-quality collagen, which is also the most popular to be used in products for mature skin, is fish collagen (sometimes referred to as “sea collagen”). You can find it in collagen creams, nourishing serums and masks.
Hair care with collagen helps regenerate and nourish the hair shaft and takes care of the scalp, which is the alpha and omega of healthy hair.
Start with collagen-based products today and you’ll soon be able to see their beneficial effects.